A few years back, the Native Sons discontinued a decades-long tradition of sponsoring an annual statewide public speaking contest. In its place, the Order established the NSGW Scholarship Foundation. Each year, the Foundation awards one $2,000 and two $1,000 merit-based grant awards, and a $1,200 vocational scholarship to California students. Eligible students include junior or senior high school students, junior college students, or freshman in a 4-year institution of higher learning.
The scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate achievements in academics, participation is school activities, leadership and personal development.
The scholarships are awarded without regard to race, gender, age, physical abilities, or financial status. Funds will be sent to the institution of higher learning upon proof of the student’s acceptance at the institution.
Applicants for the NSGW Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
1) Be a junior or senior in a California high school or enrolled in a junior college or a freshman in a 4-year institution of higher learning.
2) Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (C+ avg.).
3) Must meet graduation requirements (high school students).
4) Must be a member of the Native Sons in good standing or a relative of a Native Son in good standing.
5) Must submit proof of acceptance at a school of higher learning.
6) If attending junior college or a freshman in college, must send a transcript and SAT scores.
The committee reviewing the applications will consider the following when selecting scholarship winners:
1) Academic performance.
2) Statement of desire to pursue a higher education.
3) Community involvement.
4) Extra-curricular activity in high school.
5) Writing ability.
Complete details about the Native Sons Scholarship are available from the Grand Secretary’s Office. By mail, Grand Secretary, 414 Mason Street, Suite 300, San Francisco Ca 94102, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 800-337-1875.