The All-American Canal is pictured during a recent January 2019 sunrise. The canal, which was sanctioned under the Boulder Canyon Project Act of 1928 and was built between 1934 and 1939, was recently honored for its historical importance by The Native Sons of the Golden West.
On a breezy perfect day in the Imperial Valley under a patchwork of purple clouds in a stretch of the county’s western desert, with Mount Signal towering nearby, a group of Valley representatives gathered to honor the All-American Canal as a historical structure. The 80-mile canal, which harnesses the Colorado River for the fertile fields of the Valley, was dedicated for its historic significance by the Native Sons of the Golden West during a ceremony held Saturday, Feb. 9, at the tail end of the canal where it meets the Westside Main Canal. During the event, a plaque made possible through a collaboration of the Native Sons and the Imperial Irrigation District, was unveiled detailing the history of the “Mighty All-American.” Just behind the plaque is the border between Mexico and U.S. and just to the west sits the remains of the original Wormwood Canal headgate, built in 1919, that enabled water from the Alamo Canal in Mexico to flow to the most western fields of the Valley. Read The Complete Article